Family ties could bring Jupiter boys lacrosse another state title in 2024

JUPITER — Palm Seashore County might be house to not one, not two, however three lacrosse state champions this 12 months.

Fourteen native groups are nonetheless on the highway to Naples. Together with top-ranked St. Andrew’s boys, in search of a four-peat in 1A, and American Heritage-Delray women, seeking to go back-to-back in 1A for a program first, the boys of Jupiter Excessive are high contenders for some new {hardware}.

Blood, sweat and tears pave the best way to playoffs each season. In 2024, the primary of the trinity has run a bit deeper for the Warriors (13-4), ranked third in 2A and first in Area 4.

Final spring, sophomore middie Gavin Meyers obtained the sought-after likelihood to play on the identical highschool squad as his brother, Sean, now a freshman on the lacrosse workforce at Embry-Riddle. On Jupiter’s most up-to-date 15-6 run to area finals towards state runner-up St. Thomas Aquinas, large bro served as high scorer.

Gavin and Sean Meyers (left to right) were critical to Jupiter boys lacrosse's 2023 run to region championships. Now, Gavin hopes to reach the 2A state championship to make his brother proud.

Gavin and Sean Meyers (left to proper) had been essential to Jupiter boys lacrosse’s 2023 run to area championships. Now, Gavin hopes to succeed in the 2A state championship to make his brother proud.

“I am decided to maintain up the legacy, getting higher and higher each season to satisfy what he left,” Meyers stated. “It is a fantastic feeling to contribute to my workforce like my brother did in his previous years at Jupiter and I am simply going to maintain pushing for fulfillment.”

With a hat trick efficiency in a 12-1 district championship win over Martin County on Wednesday, Meyers has taken over as Jupiter’s lead scorer and stored the household custom alive.

“I am honored to be carrying on the custom as a result of I look as much as my brother and I discovered all the pieces from him,” Meyers stated.

Extra Warriors lacrosse: Ohio State commit Dylan Furshman leads Jupiter as newly-minted captain

Athlete of the Week winner: Kelly Ferrell turns round Dwyer women lacrosse earlier than Stetson

The household ties do not cease there.

When he wasn’t feeding the ball to Meyers and firm, Matt Sofarelli was working up the scoreboard.

No, not the Warriors’ head coach. His son of the identical title, a senior assault navigating his third 12 months on the roster, though it could be laborious to consider after a quiet spring in 2023.

The Jupiter Community High School Warriors hosted the Oxbridge Academy Thunderwolves in a Florida High School Athletic Association boys high school lacrosse game at the school in Jupiter, Fla., on March 26, 2024. The Warriors won 12-5 over the Thunderwolves. Matthew Sofarelli (35) carries the ball during the game.

The Jupiter Neighborhood Excessive Faculty Warriors hosted the Oxbridge Academy Thunderwolves in a Florida Excessive Faculty Athletic Affiliation boys highschool lacrosse sport on the faculty in Jupiter, Fla., on March 26, 2024. The Warriors received 12-5 over the Thunderwolves. Matthew Sofarelli (35) carries the ball through the sport.

Seven objectives and 23 assists to start out the season instructed that Sofarelli was in line for a breakout marketing campaign. Then, with a damaged ankle, all the pieces modified.

“I supported my workforce and did all the pieces I might from the sideline,” Sofarelli stated. He performed in simply eight video games then, however in 2024, he is been on the sector for all 17.

Sofarelli spent the offseason working laborious to get wholesome so he might keep wholesome now. In opposition to a zoned-in Tiger protection, his three first-half objectives, together with the lone rating of the second quarter, noticed the Warriors with a 6-0 halftime lead.

“It has been a fantastic season being again injury-free and serving to my workforce in any method I can,” Sofarelli stated.

He added yet another objective within the third quarter to steer the Warriors in scoring for the evening and notch one of the best efficiency of his profession in entrance of the previous man.

“My dad was glad that we received, and he at all times tells me, ‘There’s extra work to be finished,'” Sofarelli stated, figuring out a area title is up subsequent. The Warriors’ final area championship and closing 4 journey got here in 2021 when the workforce’s 18-1 run got here to an finish with this system’s second state title.

“I have been the coach’s child for so long as I have been enjoying lacrosse, since first grade,” he stated. “Yearly comes with its challenges, but it surely’s good to have the help and encouragement from my dad.”

“Successful my final district championship with my dad teaching me is unquestionably going to be a pleasant reminiscence.”

If all goes as deliberate for Jupiter within the coming weeks, the recollections have solely simply begun.

Who else made state lacrosse playoffs? A have a look at the schedule

American Heritage- Delray takes on Lake Highland Prep in a girls 1A lacrosse state championship matchup in Naples, Fla., Friday, May 6, 2023.  (Photo/Chris Tilley)

American Heritage- Delray takes on Lake Highland Prep in a women 1A lacrosse state championship matchup in Naples, Fla., Friday, Could 6, 2023. (Photograph/Chris Tilley)

Area quarterfinals for 1A and 2A women will happen on Tuesday, April 23, and Friday, April 26, respectively. Area quarterfinals for 1A and 2A boys are set for Wednesday, April 24, and Saturday, April 27, respectively. Native groups are indicated in daring.

State championships might be held on Could Sept. 11, at Paradise Coast Sports activities Advanced in Naples.

Women

1A-Area 4

No. 8 Random Everglades at No. 1 American Heritage-Delray

No. 5 St. Edward’s at No. 4 American Heritage-Plantation

No. 7 Pine Crest at No. 2 St. Andrew’s

No. 6 King’s at No. 3 Benjamin

2A-Area 4

Martin County plays Jupiter in a high school girls lacrosse District 13-2A championship game Wednesday, April 17, 2024, in Stuart. Martin County won 16-14.

Martin County performs Jupiter in a highschool women lacrosse District 13-2A championship sport Wednesday, April 17, 2024, in Stuart. Martin County received 16-14.

No. 8 Boca Raton at No. 1 Douglas

No. 5 Jupiter at No. 4 Miami-Palmetto

No. 7 Dwyer at No. 2 Martin County

No. 6 Western at No. 3 St. Thomas Aquinas

Boys

1A-Area 2

Benjamin's Alex Ponchock (21) looks for a pass from behind the crease against St. Edward's on April 17, 2024.

Benjamin’s Alex Ponchock (21) appears for a cross from behind the crease towards St. Edward’s on April 17, 2024.

No. 8 All Saints at No. 1 Benjamin

No. 5 St. Edward’s at No. 4 Montverde Academy

No. 7 First Academy at No. 2 Lake Highland Prep

No. 6 Holy Trinity at No. 3 Bishop Moore

1A-Area 4

Saint Andrew’s boy lacrosse after winning their match up with The Bolles  School in a boys 1A lacrosse state championship matchup in Naples, Fla., Friday, May 6, 2023.  (Photo/Chris Tilley)

Saint Andrew’s boy lacrosse after profitable their match up with The Bolles Faculty in a boys 1A lacrosse state championship matchup in Naples, Fla., Friday, Could 6, 2023. (Photograph/Chris Tilley)

No. 8 Ransom Everglades at No. 1 St. Andrew’s

No. 5 Pine Crest at No. 4 Oxbridge

No. 7 American-Heritage-Plantation at No. 2 Gulliver Prep

No. 6 Belen Jesuit at No. 3 St. John Paul II

2A-Area 4

No. 8 Wellington at No. 1 Jupiter

No. 4 Miami-Palmetto at No. 5 Columbus

No. 7 Douglas at No. 2 St. Thomas Aquinas

No. 6 Martin County at No. 3 Boca Raton

Emilee Smarr is a sports activities reporter for The Palm Seashore Submit. She might be reached through e-mail at esmarr@gannett.com.

This text initially appeared on Palm Seashore Submit: 14 Palm Seashore County lacrosse groups nonetheless alive on highway to state championships

admin