Can AI Find Extraterrestrial Life? NASA’s Steven Chien Discusses

The researcher from NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory gave a ‘whirlwind overview’ of how AI is revolutionizing house exploration — from autonomous spacecraft to analyzing the floor of Mars.

Steve Chien delivers AI in Motion Week’s opening keynote tackle on the eighth ground of the EXP constructing on Northeastern’s Boston campus. Photograph by Matthew Modoono/Northeastern College

Steve Chien’s contributions to house exploration began comparatively near dwelling. Within the early 2000s, the distinguished researcher at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory helped develop climate satellites that used synthetic intelligence to trace wildfires, monitor volcanoes and allocate reduction help for pure disasters. 

Now, his biggest ambition is to take AI past our photo voltaic system — and for it to assist in the seek for extraterrestrial life. 

“That’s the final word problem of AI in house. To go and hunt for all times in one other star system. That’s what retains me at NASA,” he stated. 

On Monday, Chien, who has developed autonomous methods for robotic spacecraft together with the Mars Rover and Earth Observing One, delivered a keynote speech to open Northeastern College’s first-ever AI in Motion Week, operating April 1-5 and collectively hosted by the college’s Workplace of the Provost and Workplace of the Chancellor, with assist from the Institute of Experiential AI. 

In his tackle, titled “Synthetic Intelligence in House and the Hunt for Extraterrestrial Life,” the researcher gave a “whirlwind overview” of the methods synthetic intelligence has revolutionized house exploration — and the methods it might sooner or later. 

Within the current day, he stated, AI and machine studying have already made robot-powered house missions extra environment friendly: optimizing scheduled actions for energy-inefficient robotic rovers, classifying and triaging radio bursts, and mixing datasets of bodily pictures with giant language fashions of educational literature to make connections. 

“We’re all the time making an attempt to take these items ahead into the subsequent mission,” he stated, together with in 2025, when a cadre of autonomous rovers are scheduled for a mission to the moon.  

“The Naisar mission, a joint mission with the Indian authorities, will likely be launching in a couple of months with our AI planning software program,” he added.

However his future ambition is to take that analysis into actually uncharted territory. A spotlight of the speak was in regards to the growth of  “Eels,” a snakelike robotic designed to discover the crevasses of Encelidus, one of many moons of Saturn. 

“That’s the place the astrobiologists say that life is,” he remarked. However a robotic that might navigate that unknown terrain must be “very sensible.” 

“It has to stability threat and reward. When it’s going alongside, it must know the place the hazards are so [it doesn’t] fall down a crevasse. So It’s continuously sensing … it has to determine, can it transfer ahead, can it transfer ahead extra rapidly, does it should cease to sense extra. We additionally wish to have astrobiology distant sensing devices on it so it may say, hmmm, that is likely to be life, that is likely to be well worth the threat. So these are the sorts of trades within the AI that we wish to put in these robots.”

Like human explorers, robotic house voyagers must have “curiosity, ” he stated. Outfitted with that, the (manner on the market) theoretical prospects embrace drilling into the ice caps on Europa, Jupiter’s moon, and touring to a different star system looking for life varieties much like these one earth. 

Chien’s remarks kick off a sequence of lectures, interactive classes and trainings for Northeastern college students throughout the worldwide campus community. They’re devoted to equipping members with the understanding and tangible abilities to navigate a job market powered by synthetic intelligence.

“We’re united by our shared recognition of AI’s transformative energy,” stated Northeastern chancellor Ken Henderson in his introduction of Chien. “AI is a catalyst of innovation throughout each sector. At Northeastern, we’re dedicated to growing AI that works with people and making certain that AI is utilized responsibly. As a worldwide college, we additionally perceive that it’s vital that AI be developed and utilized in a manner that fosters cultural and societal collaboration, and that features various views.”

AI in Motion Week occasions and talks are organized into three predominant areas: Tuesday, April 2, is devoted to “Bolstering your AI Literacy;” Wednesday, April 3, to “AI and Skilled Improvement;” and Thursday, April 4, to “Utilized AI: Innovation Throughout the Public and Non-public Sectors.” 

All classes are free; members who attend no less than three classes can earn an “Introductory AI Literacy Badge” to submit on their skilled on-line profiles. 

Northeastern audio system throughout the week embrace Institute for Experiential AI government director Usama Fayyed; senior analysis scientist Walid Saba, an skilled on giant language fashions and Chat GPT; Institute for Experiential AI analysis director Ricardo Baeza Yates; Beth Noveck, director of the Northeastern’s Burnes Middle for Social Change, and others. Audrey Tang, Taiwan’s minister of digital affairs and one in every of TIME Journal’s 100 Most Influential Individuals in AI 2023, will give a closing keynote on April 5.

Along with skills-building, there will likely be networking alternatives: Thursday’s AI Profession Honest within the Curry Scholar Middle, hosted by the Institute of Experiential AI, will convey collectively college students with main tech firms and “function talks by business leaders on probably the most in-demand abilities of their sectors, particulars on their day-to-day work, and recommendation for job-seekers,” in line with the occasion’s web site. Representatives from over a dozen firms and establishments will likely be available, together with Intuit, Dell Applied sciences and the U.S. State Division. 

For an entire listing of talks and classes, and to register, click on right here; college students might register all through the week. Thursday’s profession truthful requires a separate registration.  

College Information

Current Tales

Information, Discovery, and Evaluation from Across the World

admin