Mars Area Centennial School implements metal detectors – Butler Eagle

College students in fifth and sixth grades at Mars Space Centennial Faculty will cross via metallic detectors and comply with extra new security protocols upon arriving in school this faculty yr.

The transfer follows a complete analysis of the varsity’s security plan final yr after an incident involving a firearm at a highschool basketball sport.

College students in seventh via twelfth grades had already been required to cross via metallic detectors at the highschool constructing.

“These new protocols are in place to additional guarantee the protection and safety of all Mars Space Centennial Faculty college students and workers,“ a press launch acknowledged.

The district didn’t instantly return a request for additional remark Wednesday, Aug. 23.

The analysis labored with native responders, state-level safety consultants, and inner security and safety personnel to “evaluate and make any obligatory modifications to present protocols to be able to maximize our safety efforts for college students, workers and neighborhood members,” in accordance with a February letter following the incident.

Beginning Wednesday, bus riders will enter the constructing via the cafeteria entrance, the place they may stroll via metallic detectors and undergo a bag search by faculty personnel.

College students, who’re dropped off by a dad or mum/guardian, will comply with the same process on the faculty’s dad or mum drop-off entrance.

Any pupil arriving after 9 a.m. might want to enter by way of the principle doorways and cross via a metallic detector and undergo a bag search.

All guests will enter the constructing via the principle workplace and also will be required to cross via a metallic detector.

Guests are requested to notice that no luggage or different gadgets could also be carried into the constructing, solely small purses, diaper luggage and medical luggage are permitted. Any customer carrying a bag shall be requested to return the merchandise to their car.

admin