Mars Hill University lockdown lifted after suspected carjacking

Madison County Sheriff Buddy Harwood posted a photo of this vehicle on Facebook instructing residents to call 911 if they see it.

MARS HILL – A lockdown at Mars Hill College was lifted simply earlier than 3 p.m. Sept. 5 after native legislation enforcement earlier within the afternoon instructed college officers to provoke the lockdown in response to a suspected carjacking close to Principal Avenue.

Shortly earlier than 3:30 p.m., Sheriff Buddy Harwood posted a photograph of the automobile, a Jeep with “U.S. Mail” and “Frequent stops” listed on the again of the automobile.

“Madison County Sheriff’s Workplace and Mars Hill Police Division trying to find this automobile. If you happen to see it Name 911,” Harwood mentioned within the Fb submit.

MHU spokesperson Mike Thornhill mentioned campus officers despatched out three all-call textual content message alerts to college students, with the primary alert being despatched out shortly earlier than 1:15 p.m. Sept. 5.

Kaylee Fitzgerald, left, and Emily Durham are seniors at Mars Hill University.

Mars Hill College college students Emily Durham and Kaylee Fitzgerald mentioned the uncertainty surrounding the occasion was “scary.”

“It was loopy,” mentioned Fitzgerald, a senior. “I used to be shocked, as a result of that is the most secure campus in all of North Carolina, I really feel like. Nothing ever occurs right here, like ever. Positive, there might be a celebration on the nook, and it’ll get shut down in like 10 minutes. However nothing ever occurs right here. Probably the most you have to fear about is coyotes.”

admin