Panasonic Foundation, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and National Institute of Aerospace (NIA) Collaborate to Support Equity in STEM

“A Area for All” STEM Fest gathered neighborhood to be taught extra about STEM-related fields

NEWARK, N.J., Nov. 8, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — Panasonic and the Panasonic Basis celebrated one yr since breaking floor in De Soto, Kansas, on Panasonic Power’s new $4 billion EV battery manufacturing facility by collaborating with the Nationwide Aeronautics and Area Administration (NASA) and the Nationwide Institute of Aerospace (NIA). In recognition of this vital milestone, these teams hosted a free, enjoyable, family-friendly weekend of actions targeted on STEM (science, expertise, engineering, and math) training and profession alternatives.

“A Area for All” STEM Fest, held on November 3-4, invited households and college students of all ages to satisfy at Johnson County Neighborhood Faculty in Overland Park, KS, to get pleasure from a weekend of interactive experiences, academic actions, visitor audio system and informational displays – all with a deal with broadening entry, variety and inclusion in STEM fields. Greater than 1,000 college students, mother and father, educators and neighborhood leaders from throughout the Better Kansas Metropolis space attended the weekend’s occasions.

As Panasonic Power prepares to create roughly as much as 4,000 new jobs on the new De Soto plant, leaders are targeted on supporting STEM curriculum, profession readiness and workforce improvement for space highschool and school college students. Whether or not by way of coaching in services or educating the subsequent technology about clear expertise and manufacturing, Panasonic is raring to broaden, deepen and strengthen the expertise pool throughout Kansas and all through the Kansas Metropolis area.

The occasion aimed to assist deal with notable considerations and disparities within the STEM trade. Information has proven that STEM jobs will symbolize greater than 80% of future U.S. jobs, however lower than 20% of undergraduates pursue these levels. Out of the 20 quickest rising occupations, 15 require critical arithmetic or science preparation, but analysis signifies that greater than 90% of kids will lose curiosity in STEM subjects if they aren’t engaged by the fifth grade. 1

“Our mission on the Panasonic Basis is to deal with the widespread hole between future tech jobs and training in STEM, particularly in underserved communities,” stated Alejandra Ceja, Vice President of the Workplace of Social Impression and Inclusion for Panasonic North America and Government Director of the Panasonic Basis. “We envision a various workforce ready for the worldwide 21st-century economic system for corporations like Panasonic and so many extra. We’re targeted on strengthening and diversifying these excited about working within the tech trade, and the STEM Fest actions are one step in the proper course.”

The STEM Fest celebrated not simply the anniversary of the power’s groundbreaking, but it surely additionally marks the primary part of the Panasonic Basis’s strategic outreach within the area. The Basis has almost 40 years of experience in social affect with a robust community of organizations and stakeholders from throughout the nation. STEM Fest was simply the primary instance of utilizing that expansive expertise to have interaction with their new neighbors.

With interactive packages, workshops and actions designed particularly for various audiences and ages—together with actions for center college college students, audio system targeted on school curriculum and careers, and conferences to attach space nonprofits with potential funding alternatives—STEM Fest individuals loved the prospect to work together with STEM training consultants, discover cutting-edge applied sciences, and study the way forward for work within the tech trade within the better Kansas Metropolis area and past.

Just a few of the occasion highlights included:

• Keynote remarks from:
    • Dr. Geri Richmond, U.S. Division of Power, Underneath Secretary for Science & Improvements
    • Dr. Mamta Patel Nagaraja, NASA, Affiliate Chief Scientist
    • Edward V. Gonzales, a Variety, Fairness, Inclusion and Accessibility Lead at NASA Goddard Area Flight Middle
  • A full-sized, battery-powered EV racer
  • An immersive planetarium
  • Informational tables and displays highlighting STEM curriculum and programming out there by way of space faculties, universities and nonprofits
  • Fingers-on actions with NASA included constructing your individual paper rover and robotic, studying about distances from the moon, and even a “spaghetti tower”
  • Complimentary copies of First Lady, NASA’s graphic novel and accompanying interactive experiences telling the story of the primary lady to discover the Moon

About NASA
The Nationwide Aeronautics and Area Administration (NASA) is America’s civil house program and the worldwide chief in house exploration. The company has a various workforce of slightly below 18,000 civil servants, and works with many extra U.S. contractors, academia, and worldwide and industrial companions to discover, uncover, and broaden data for the good thing about humanity. At its 20 facilities and services throughout the nation – and the one Nationwide Laboratory in house – NASA research Earth, together with its local weather, our Solar, and our photo voltaic system and past. 

NASA makes important investments in a various portfolio of studying alternatives and actions designed to achieve as many U.S. college students as doable – from kindergarten by way of graduate college. NASA seeks to construct the subsequent technology STEM workforce and broaden pupil participation to extend variety, fairness and inclusion in STEM fields, providing a big selection of distinctive experiences designed to have interaction Okay-12 college students nationwide within the company’s missions, individuals and assets.

About NIA
The Nationwide Institute of Aerospace (NIA) is a nonprofit analysis, training, and outreach institute situated in Hampton, Virginia. Created in 2002, NIA collaborates with NASA, different authorities companies and laboratories, universities, and trade to conduct modern analysis and expertise improvement in house exploration, aeronautics, and science. As well as, NIA gives a broad, multi-university training program and award-winning outreach.

Concerning the Panasonic Basis 
The Panasonic Basis is dedicated to rising academic alternatives for deprived college students by way of strategic philanthropic investments in science, expertise, engineering, arts, and arithmetic (STEAM). Our native and nationwide mission is an extension of our core rules. We’re devoted to supporting efforts that advance academic excellence. Observe the Panasonic Basis on Instagram @PanasonicFoundation and on Twitter @PanasonicFDN.

About Panasonic Company of North America  
Newark, NJ-based Panasonic Company of North America is dedicated to creating a greater life and a greater world by enabling its clients by way of improvements in Sustainable Power, Immersive Leisure, Built-in Provide Chains and Mobility Options. The corporate is the principal North American subsidiary of Osaka, Japan-based Panasonic Company. One among Interbrand’s High 100 Greatest World Manufacturers of 2022, Panasonic is a number one expertise companion and integrator to companies, authorities companies and shoppers throughout the area. Study extra about Panasonic’s concepts and improvements at http://na.panasonic.com/us/. 

Join with Panasonic Company of North America:  
Twitter, LinkedIn, Fb, YouTube  

1 Pew Analysis Middle evaluation of 2017-19 American Neighborhood Survey (IPUMS), “STEM Jobs See Uneven Progress in Growing Gender, Racial and Ethnic Variety”

SOURCE Panasonic Company of North America

Știri Online feed

admin