Muslim astronauts need clarity on praying, fasting in space, expert says

Those that journey to area for long-term missions ought to be allowed some concession in the way in which they pray and quick whereas there, mentioned an professional.

Dr. Maryam Al Hattali, a professor on the Mohamed bin Zayed College for Humanities in Abu Dhabi, was addressing Islamic specialists on the Second Worldwide Convention organized by the UAE Council for Fatwa.

“The largest problem for astronauts is to carry out ablution,” she mentioned. “Area explorers carry out worthwhile scientific work for the advantage of humanity. So, it’s crucial for students and specialists to think about the spiritual rulings they want.”

She additionally urged attendees of the convention to think about setting up fatwas, or Islamic rulings, associated to area for acts of worship similar to prayers and fasting to take away hardships and alleviate hurt for the astronauts.

Water is a prized possession within the ISS with astronauts recycling their urine and sweat to verify they’ve sufficient water for consuming, meals preparation and hygiene makes use of.

Earlier this yr, Emirati astronaut Sultan Al Neyadi noticed Ramadan and Eid on the Worldwide Area Station (ISS) throughout his six month-long area mission. Previous to his mission, he had mentioned that it might be troublesome for him to look at the dawn-to-dusk fasts.

“I shall be within the class of a traveller (the place) fasting just isn’t obligatory if you’re unwell,” he had mentioned. “On this context, something that may jeopardize the mission or put any of the crew members in a troublesome or dangerous place (will be excused)… in such a state of affairs… we’re allowed to eat ample meals to forestall a scenario that may adversely have an effect on our well being as a result of lack of vitamin or hydration.”

“Fasting throughout Ramadan is definitely good for the physique and if the event permits, I’d like to share some UAE meals with my fellow crew members,” he added.

Earlier, in 2007, when Malaysian astronaut Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor spent Ramadan in ISS, the Islamic Nationwide Fatwa Council of Malaysia reportedly issued particular tips for him. They specified that he may postpone fasting till he returned again to Earth, or he may quick in accordance with the time zone of the place from the place he had launched.

Want for clear guidelines

Now, with the Arab area’s area exploration packages in full drive and with extra Muslim astronauts scheduled to enter outer area, specialists are saying it’s time for students to difficulty fatwas that can give clear tips on what astronauts are exempted from.

Dr Maryam identified that the Islamic approach is to ease issues for the believers and that students ought to take this into consideration.

The act of sujood or prostrating and kneeling down in the course of the Islamic approach of praying can be a difficult activity in area the place there may be microgravity.

Copyright © 2022 Khaleej Instances. All Rights Reserved. Offered by SyndiGate Media Inc. (Syndigate.data).

Știri Online feed

admin